Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 07:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

Where do you typically work on the curve in open road and congested (or if you prefer motorway and urban) situations?
Left of centre for both 20%  20%  [ 3 ]
Left of centre for urban, about centre for motorway 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Left of centre for urban, right of centre for motorway 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
About centre for urban, left of centre for motorway 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
About centre for both 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
About centre for urban, right of centre for motorway 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Right of centre for urban, left of centre for motorway 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Right of centre for urban, about centre for motorway 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Right of centre for both 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
This poll is rubbish - it depends on how tired I am! 27%  27%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 15
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:43 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:01
Posts: 4813
Location: Essex
This one is prompted by http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewt ... 967#115967 and Paul's reminder of http://www.safespeed.org.uk/arousal.html . I think it's fairly well agreed that broadly there is a curve (which may or may not have assymptotic start and/or finish).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:58 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 06:46
Posts: 16903
Location: Safe Speed
Interesting...

This is the curve in question:

Image

_________________
Paul Smith
Our scrap speed cameras petition got over 28,000 sigs
The Safe Speed campaign demands a return to intelligent road safety


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 13:41 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:01
Posts: 4813
Location: Essex
I actually constructed the final entry of this poll (which I've voted for) as I was writing the others. However, I compensate for tiredness - which results typically from lack of perceived risk, by attempting to operate right of centre on motorways, but remain around centre in towns (possibly slightly left).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 21:21 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 00:24
Posts: 2400
Location: Kendal, Cumbria
At the risk of buggering up the whole thing, I have to say I can't really answer, as most of my driving is neither urban nor motorway, but rather what I'd describe as "rural".

FWIW, if you take the range of the curve as being 0-100 left to right, then I'd say that I sit at about 40 in urban situations, on motorways I always used to be at about 60 but now switch between that and about 20 depending on the presence of speed cameras; but that the majority of my driving is on rural roads where I drive (I would say) at about 60 on that scale except when stuck behind grockles, when it drops to about -10... :roll:

_________________
CSCP Latin for beginners...
Ticketo ergo sum : I scam therefore I am!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 18:26 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:01
Posts: 4813
Location: Essex
What amazes me here, apart from the paltry response, is that nobody has admitted to operating on the right side of the curve on any road type.

I specified "poll is rubbish" as explained above. However, I definitely operate on the right side of the curves on the open road when tired, to get to a rest place more quickly and to remain alert in that process.

Edit: Wrong! One person has stated the same as my "second choice". APologies to that person.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 18:32 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 06:46
Posts: 16903
Location: Safe Speed
Roger wrote:
I specified "poll is rubbish" as explained above. However, I definitely operate on the right side of the curves on the open road when tired, to get to a rest place more quickly and to remain alert in that process.


That's very odd Roger!

Do you REALLY work above your comfort zone? Or are you actually establishing an 'intelligent' comfort zone based on the circumstances?

_________________
Paul Smith
Our scrap speed cameras petition got over 28,000 sigs
The Safe Speed campaign demands a return to intelligent road safety


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 19:05 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:01
Posts: 4813
Location: Essex
SafeSpeed wrote:
Roger wrote:
I specified "poll is rubbish" as explained above. However, I definitely operate on the right side of the curves on the open road when tired, to get to a rest place more quickly and to remain alert in that process.


That's very odd Roger!

Do you REALLY work above your comfort zone? Or are you actually establishing an 'intelligent' comfort zone based on the circumstances?

I work when tired atthe arousal end of that curve, though within (just) my comfort zone. Right of centre not at the end of the scale. Does that make sense?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 19:28 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 06:46
Posts: 16903
Location: Safe Speed
Roger wrote:
SafeSpeed wrote:
Roger wrote:
I specified "poll is rubbish" as explained above. However, I definitely operate on the right side of the curves on the open road when tired, to get to a rest place more quickly and to remain alert in that process.


That's very odd Roger!

Do you REALLY work above your comfort zone? Or are you actually establishing an 'intelligent' comfort zone based on the circumstances?

I work when tired atthe arousal end of that curve, though within (just) my comfort zone. Right of centre not at the end of the scale. Does that make sense?


Nope. You're saying you push yourself into a zone where you know your overall performance drops. I don't believe you. I think you're working with a weird vertical axis which isn't 'overall task performance'.

What's you're really doing is buying a bit more stimulation to offset the tiredness and establishing a true optimum.

_________________
Paul Smith
Our scrap speed cameras petition got over 28,000 sigs
The Safe Speed campaign demands a return to intelligent road safety


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 21:45 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:01
Posts: 4813
Location: Essex
Quote:
What's you're really doing is buying a bit more stimulation to offset the tiredness and establishing a true optimum.

Nope. what I'm doing is buying a bit more stimulation to offset the otherwise forthcoming tiredness - slightly worse than optimum at the time, to offselt what otherwise would be dramatically worse later (thorugh much worse tiredness). I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 21:48 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 06:46
Posts: 16903
Location: Safe Speed
Roger wrote:
Quote:
What's you're really doing is buying a bit more stimulation to offset the tiredness and establishing a true optimum.

Nope. what I'm doing is buying a bit more stimulation to offset the otherwise forthcoming tiredness - slightly worse than optimum at the time, to offselt what otherwise would be dramatically worse later (thorugh much worse tiredness). I think.


So it's an advanced pre-emptive optimum then? But still not beyond what you believe to be best overall performance?

_________________
Paul Smith
Our scrap speed cameras petition got over 28,000 sigs
The Safe Speed campaign demands a return to intelligent road safety


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 21:56 
Offline
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:01
Posts: 4813
Location: Essex
SafeSpeed wrote:
Roger wrote:
Quote:
What's you're really doing is buying a bit more stimulation to offset the tiredness and establishing a true optimum.

Nope. what I'm doing is buying a bit more stimulation to offset the otherwise forthcoming tiredness - slightly worse than optimum at the time, to offselt what otherwise would be dramatically worse later (thorugh much worse tiredness). I think.


So it's an advanced pre-emptive optimum then? But still not beyond what you believe to be best overall performance?


Yes - but in the early phase, ie, were the journey expected to come to an end (or a rest point) earlier, I'd likely puh the envelope a bit less, for an even better optimum. does that make sense?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.256s | 12 Queries | GZIP : Off ]