Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 09:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 18:20 
User

Dear all,

Firstly, my support and thanks to the SafeSpeed campaign, keep up the good work, it's appreciated.

There are so many things I don't understand but which I would love to find out why they exist or take place. If you know the reason behind any of these things please enlighten me:

People driving in lane 2 all the time. Old, young, experienced and otherwise, they all do it.
HGVs with two blue LEDs in the window. Why?
Exhausts the diameter of France.
Speed bumps - clearly the daftest idea ever.
Sunstrips that read "MotorSport". Why?
Trucks with a thousand green, yellow and blue lights all over them. Why?
Fog lights on all the time. Why?

Above all, why nobody ever seems to get pulled up hogging lane 2, for having a car covered in daft LEDs or having a huge and blatantly illegal exhaust system, or for having their f***ing fog lights on.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 20:08 

Curmudgeon wrote:
or having a huge and blatantly illegal exhaust system

Loud pipes save lives....... :wink:

BTW no one gets pulled because there is no one left to pull 'em. Policing is done with cameras these days. So long as you obey the speed limit in front of a camera you can get away with just about anything.

I agree on the rear fogs. All new cars have to have self-canceling ones that trip out every time the lights or ignition is turned off. No excuses there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 21:44 
User

Ahhh, thank you. That's shed some light (sic) on a couple of things. I'd like to be safer myself so maybe I'll get some big pipes fitted so they can hear me comin'.
Also, since I can now do anything so long as there's not a camera around, think I'll turn off the traction control and do some 240bhp donuts in the middle of the M6 when I get bored. That MotorSport sun strip is looking more inviting all the time too.
On the fog lights I agree completely, but I was also thinking about the front ones (ones that really are fog lights and not those Volvo "driving light" thingys.) The way manufacturers often show their cars in ads with them turned on, presumably to make the car go faster, is pretty irresponsible I think. Nothing like driving down a dark back road and having some tosser with 4 headlights come the other way. Subaru are the worst offender, in my book at least.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 21:53 

Curmudgeon wrote:
People driving in lane 2 all the time. Old, young, experienced and otherwise, they all do it.

Lack of education, Think only emphasise speed.

Quote:

Life is pretty boring being forced to travel around at 4mph below the speed limit. Got to brighten things up somehow. And they are legal.

Quote:

Nope, don't unerstand this in the same way I don't understand hanging baskets.

Quote:

Councillors who want to be seen to be doing something even if it is completely the wrong thing.

Quote:

Why do people live in ..... oooh .... Essex?

Quote:

See hanging baskets.

Quote:

Same as the lane 2 hogs. And plod is never around. Not like the old days when he was just never around when you need him. These days he is just never around full stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 22:01 
User

Hi Homer, thanks for the insight.
I'm suprised to learn that those truck blue LEDs are legal. I saw some car magazine this month giving away blue tyre cap LEDs on the cover and the packet said "for off road use only" (as if) so it's probably not legal to light up your wheels. How do the windscreen ones get away with showing a blue light?
Funny, I do sort of understand hanging baskets, but then I've spent a lot of time talking to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 22:35 

Homer as for your 'Essex' comment I come from Essex and can safely say that I've never seen 'Motorsport' - too many letters normally 'WRX' :lol:

Chaos, panic and disorder - my work here is done.

http://www.wildcrafts.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 23:02 
Life Member
Life Member

Curmudgeon wrote:
How do the windscreen ones get away with showing a blue light?

It's because the law doesn't restrict blue lights, it restricts flashing or moving lights.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 23:03 
User

Curmudgeon wrote:

HGVs and blue lights. Because they think they are "cool"???????????

Trucks with a 1000 coloured lights all over them. At least you saw the truck, most drivers can't.
I've been looking for the fuse on many trucks I have driven, you know, the fuse for the Klingon cloaking device that renders the truck invisible, I've given up looking and just remain invisible to most car drivers.

Last edited by Dratsabasti on Thu Nov 10, 2005 16:12, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 00:09 
Camera Partnership Staff
Camera Partnership Staff

Dratsabasti wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

that gives a coke advert :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:32 

There are lots of thing I don't understand. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:31 
Life Member
Life Member

Brookwood wrote:
There are lots of thing I don't understand. :?

Like... "How does the man who drives the snow-plough get to work on the first snowy morning?". :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 13:28 

Safety Engineer wrote:
Homer as for your 'Essex' comment I come from Essex and can safely say that I've never seen 'Motorsport' - too many letters normally 'WRX' :lol:

Sorry, just a random choice of county.

My point being there is no reason to have a problem with what people have written on their sunstrip.

People are all different, as long as they are not being dangerously different then why worry about it.

But hanging baskets, now they could fall on someones head. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 13:40 
User

Quote:
My point being there is no reason to have a problem with what people have written on their sunstrip.

Too true. With the posible exception of "DARREN ____TRACY" on XR3i's

Joking aside. Many sunstrips out there are verging on the illegal.

Rule appears to be: If your wipers can sweep the area - thou shalt not stick crap to it.

I've seen sunstrips on boy-racer brigade for years at upto 12" deep for novas & the like trying to get round this by fitting shorter wiper blades!

Of course it doesn't obscure their vision - they're driving in a practically horizontal position anyway in mock Recarro recliners with the wheel barely in finger tip reach. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 15:37 
User

Gizmo wrote:

They certainly do Gizmo....they certainly do :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 17:51 

Gixxer wrote:
Gizmo wrote:

They certainly do Gizmo....they certainly do :wink:

Motion Seconded :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 09:59 

I don't understand big tea trays bolted on top of boot lids. At what speed to they serve a purpose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Brookwood wrote:
I don't understand big tea trays bolted on top of boot lids. At what speed to they serve a purpose?

It varies from car to car. However, typically they come into their own at illegally high speeds (in this country) and actually make matters worse at 50mph. By careful design and typically muchj smaller "tea trays", they can be made to not do harm at lower speeds, cut in and do a minute amount of good at higher speeds. however, in almost all cases, they serve as decoration. I think. anyone got a different take?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 13:03 
Life Member
Life Member

Roger wrote:
Brookwood wrote:

It varies from car to car. However, typically they come into their own at illegally high speeds (in this country) and actually make matters worse at 50mph. By careful design and typically muchj smaller "tea trays", they can be made to not do harm at lower speeds, cut in and do a minute amount of good at higher speeds. however, in almost all cases, they serve as decoration. I think. anyone got a different take?

I reckon that you're spot-on.

As aerodynamic "aids" they can work, but not really at legal speeds in this country. The odd small spoiler on the roof of some hatchbacks can help to keep the back window and tail lights clean but doesn't contribute anything to "downforce". I'm fairly sure that none of the decorative spoilers fitted to production cars ever have a positive effect on downforce, regardless of the speed, but may act to neutralise lift at high speed. The only figures that I have to hand at the moment are for the Porsche 911 in its "pre and post-Carrera" incarnations and they're quite strange because of the near-aerofoil shape of the early cars... At 150mph, without spoilers the car generates a shade over 400lbs of lift - ie almost 20% of the weight of the car - whereas with spoilers, lift is reduced to 37lbs. They also reduce drag somewhat so allow a higher top speed and/or better fuel consumption.

F1-type downforce (which is what I suppose is being implied by the marketing and styling departments of "adorned" road cars) is only achieved at the expense of massive aerodynamic drag, to the extent that at about 160-170mph, putting the car into neutral produces retardation of better than 1g without even touching the brakes! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 02:07 
User

Homer wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

Lack of education, Think only emphasise speed.

:yesyes: Only don't do this in Durham. We get well acid over it :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

Life is pretty boring being forced to travel around at 4mph below the speed limit. Got to brighten things up somehow. And they are legal.

:roll: :lol: :roll:

Never seen why this is such a craze. Perhaps it's the closest they feel to a :bib: :wink:

Quote:
Quote:

Nope, don't unerstand this in the same way I don't understand hanging baskets.

Nope - do not understand this as with hanging baskets or sticking an ear-ring stud in one's nose. As my young Swiss cousin has once remarked somehere - they look like a giant zit from a distance :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

Councillors who want to be seen to be doing something even if it is completely the wrong thing.

:roll: They always employ cowboys to do the job too. :roll:

:wink:
Quote:
Why do people live in ..... oooh .... Essex?

:wink:
So that they can dance around hand bags? :wink: An' spea' estua'y English I fink innit :wink: Glottal stop glottal stop glottal stop :lol:

Quote:
Quote:

See hanging baskets.

:roll: Possibly the number of cyclists whio tried to undertake them? They don't like high viz - so perhaps these truckers feel they have to do it for them? :wink: :wink: :twisted: :P :roll:

Quote:
Quote:

Same as the lane 2 hogs. And plod is never around. Not like the old days when he was just never around when you need him. These days he is just never around full stop.

Hmm- we are ubiquitous in our patch. :wink: :lol:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 14:18 
Life Member
Life Member

In Gear wrote:
An' spea' estua'y English I fink innit :wink: Glottal stop glottal stop glottal stop :lol:

Shouldn't that be "Glo'al sto' glo'al sto' glo'al sto'"? :lol: